DHSHA Invitational Hockey Tournament in support of DIFD for Mental Health
Raising awareness, inspiring conversations and transforming youth mental health!
December 5th – 9th, 2019
What is DIFD? In November 2010, 14‐year old Daron Richardson died by suicide. From this tragedy came a movement to transform mental health. Daron’s parents, former Columbus Blue Jacket Luke and his wife, Stephanie Richardson, decided to transform their very private pain into a public call‐to‐action and made a decision to support young people who struggle with mental illness.
Supported by the energy and efforts of dozens of Daron’s close friends and classmates, a grassroots movement was formed with the mission of creating awareness, inspiring conversations, and transforming youth mental health.
Do It For Daron (DIFD) supports education, awareness, and research initiatives that encourage young people to talk openly about mental illness and to ask for help when needed.
The purple DIFD heart, a creation inspired by Daron’s favorite color, has become the youth‐driven symbol of this movement.
Daron Richardson was a female youth hockey player who lived in Dublin, Ohio, during much of her short life. As she was a teammate of many players in Dublin, the local Dublin high school hockey teams incorporated an annual hockey game in support of DIFD seven years ago to honor Daron’s legacy and the DIFD cause. Although former teammates have graduated from high school, the Dublin High School Hockey Association (DHSHA) has kept this tradition going to broadcast the DIFD message and make the tools for improved mental health available to our hockey community.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for people between ages 10 and 24.
- Every day, approximately 123 Americans die by suicide.
- There is one death by suicide in the US every 12 minutes.
- Depression affects 20‐25% of Americans ages 18+ in a given year.
- Suicide takes the lives of over 44,965 Americans every year.
DHSHA Tournament Hockey Components
- 8 Varsity and 8 Junior Varsity hockey teams
- 4 Game guarantee
- Chiller ice rinks in Columbus, Ohio
- December 5‐8, 2019
Dublin High School Hockey Alumni Game‐Saturday, 12/7 5:40‐6:40PM
- Alumni participants from all 3 Dublin High Schools‐Coffman, Jerome, Scioto
- Game to take place Saturday evening at 5:40 p.m.
- Game commemorates the original DIFD games started in Dublin 7 years ago
Participant Education for Players, Students, Attendees
- Mental Health professionals to be present from OSU Harding, Nationwide Children’s & Syntero. A portion of funds raised to be donated to these local providers of youth mental health services.
- Personal 5‐minute visits to each team’s locker room to discuss DIFD and available tools
- Availability of mental health information
- Notification to local media outlets and youth hockey organizations
- Communications to all participating school districts for distribution
- Tournament materials to be sent to all participating teams
- “Purple Out” encouraged at all participating schools the Friday, December 5
Physical Presence at game throughout the weekend
- “Marquis Games” to include Dublin schools (all schools in the future!)
- Purple themed decorations and banners
- Chalkboard walls of positive self‐talk
- “Note wall” where players and guests can leave encouraging and positive messages
Player involvement for Players, Students, Attendees
- Marquis games will have a Spirit Award for the team’s fans displaying the most purple to game activities
- Purple hockey tape and DIFD helmet sticker available for participating players
- Giveaways for participating players to include a skate towel with DIFD tournament logo
Additional Weekend Activities
- Celebrity Puck Droppers
- DIFD apparel sale
- Silent Auction
- Photo Booth with purple props
- Bake Sale
- Purple player heart at center ice after game – photo from Mezzanine level